Industrial Organic Useful Sculpture
BLOTT WORKS is award-winning artist-designer Dan Morrison who hand-makes his unique functional statement pieces in his workshop in the Pennine borderlands and sells them around the world.
Dan likes architecture. And machines. He also likes birds, people and other natural forms. His past incarnations in theatre design, engineering, sound composition and funeral directing could seem disparate to others but they are very joined up in Dan’s mind.
His work draws on these things, not always intentionally, to produce items that have a strong sculptural, mechanical or architectural aesthetic, radiating personality and bringing a sense of ritual or play into everyday activities.
Sometimes whimsical. Never flimsical.
"We were delighted to select Dan Morrison's BLOTT WORKS for our Award at the GNCCF last autumn, his extraordinary limited edition, hand engineered, functional sculptures are fascinating, intriguing and very clever indeed! BLOTT WORKS is like nothing we've ever seen before"
Angie Boyer, Editor, craft&design magazine (April 2017)
If you would like purchase a BLOTT WORKS sculpture...
Please contact Dan directly by email at email@example.com or ring him on 07930 454467.
Alternatively, visit one of the galleries or exhibitions below and discuss your requirements there.
Galleries and retail outlets
- Snug Gallery, Hebden Bridge (C, BB, CA, BV 1,2&3)
- Imagine Gallery, Sudbury (T, P, C, Bn)
- Bils & Rye, Nunnington (MB, MH)
- Artisan Alchemy Gallery, Birmingham (H, C)
- Vermilion Gallery, Knutsford (C)
- Frivoli Gallery, Chiswick, London (BB, CA, MC)
- Artifex Galllery, Sutton Coldfield, (DC, B)
- Platform Gallery, Clitheroe (from Jan 2018)
- National Centre for Craft & Design, Sleaford (D, BV, DC)
- Fisherton Mill, Salisbury (C, BB)
- Found Gallery, Dunbar (out of stock)
- Panik Design, Milton Keynes (by appointment)
- Vale Furnishers, Farnham (C, H, T)
- Felix Lighting Specialists, Bath (CA)
Key to items in stock: C=Crane, BB=Baby Bustard, CA=Clamshell, T=Tree, H=Hawk, P=Pebble clock, BV=Breeze Vase, MB=Mini Bustard, MH=Mini Hawk, MC=Mini Crane, Bn=Beacon, D=Duck, DC=Daisy Crane
Exhibitions and shows in 2017 and 2018
Unit Twelve, Stafford, ('The Art of Science'), 12 Jan - 22 Apr 2017
CCD Selection, London, 14-21 May 2017
Walford Mill, Wimbornre ('Senses'), 10 Jun - 23 July 2017
Celebration of Craftsmanship & Design, 19-28 Aug 2017
GNCCF, Manchester, 12-15 Oct 2017
MADE Marylebone, London, 19 - 22 Oct 2017
Handmade in Edinburgh, 27-29 Oct 2017
Lingwood Samuel Gallery, ("Out of the Shadows") Feb 2018
Sudeley Spring Grand Sale, Winchcombe, 19-21 Apr 2018
Eunique, Karlsruhe, Germany, 8-10 Jun 2018
Celebration of Craftsmanship & Design, 18-27 Aug 2018
Recent Awards & Press
- Style&Co online blog, Meet the Maker, Jul 2017
- Living North magazine, Featured Maker, Jul/Aug 2017
- Best Selected Maker at GNCCF 2016 by craft&design magazine
- craft&design magazine, Featured Maker, Apr 2017
- Outstanding Artist, The Art Market, 2015
- Stuff magazine, Luxury Gift Guide, Dec 2015
To see the latest images and news have a look at @BLOTTWORKS on Instagram, and to a lesser extent Twitter and Facebook. Here are the most recent Instagram posts...